Friday, March 6, 2009

FaceBook's Popularity/Sympathy Contest


Jenny is considering going to the gym.

Jenny is tired and can't wait for the weekend.

Jenny thinks that milk was a bad idea.

Jenny hasn't taken a good dump since the surgery.

What exactly are people hoping to accomplish by telling us about every little thing when they update their status? I believe a portion of it comes from seeking sympathy and attention. Another portion is to see how popular you really are by measuring the number and quality of responses. On another level, people may believe that everyone is very interested in what they are doing every 10 minutes. Then you have the gossip types who can't wait to lay everything on you. "Did you see that Jenny can't produce a solid log? I can't wait to get more info to tell all the yentas that I know." And finally, the smallest portion are people jest effing around (I am in this grouping).

How many status changes have you seen that have alluded to some potential horrific or sad event without telling you the whole story? Are people that desperate to find out if their friends truly care about their own personal crap?

Stewie just got back from the hospital. Oh my God, what happend to Stewie? In essence, Stewie is hoping for a cadre of people to demand to know just what the heck happened to Stewie and if he's doing ok.

Did he get the Fusilli Jerry dislodged from his nethers?








Take your statuses a little more seriously people. Stop telling me that you are hanging out with your kids. We don't care when you get to work or when you are leaving. If you have news, spill it, don't make me have to ask you what happened, because I won't.

Make me laugh or put something interesting up there, just dont tell me about the consistency of your cat's latest puke, b/c I don't give a shit.
technorati Stumble reddit digg! del.icio.us share on facebook

10 comments:

robkroese said...

I think I'm going to start posting statuses like "... is still worried about his pants."

Anonymous said...

i often think statuses are like mini blogs, for example...

ehm.

Unknown said...

I am not on facebook and never plan to be. Blogging and twitter is more than I can handle. Did you see the story I did with you in it?

Barb Dwyer said...

I didn't - where can I find this masterpiece?

Barb Dwyer said...

I have found it - and send many much thanks, oh Ettarose of Texas.

Barb Dwyer said...

@ Diesel - now that is a status I would be happy to see. It is too rare that we worry about our own clothing.

Unknown said...

Twitter can have the same problem. You get people who are witty with their Tweets, and can make anything interesting. And then there are those who always seem to be having vague problems, or just share everything.

Jane Turley said...

So true! And very funny. Mind you, I love reading about people's bowel problems; it makes me feel better about my piles.

Anonymous said...

well written Barb!

Barb Dwyer said...

I cant get enough bowel movemement postings. (read like cowbell)

Post a Comment